Thursday, November 4, 2010

Why I Use Twitter (And Why I'll Probably Delete My Facebook Soon)

In the world of Web 2.0, social networking reigns supreme and it's kind of interesting to look at the different platforms that people use to interact with each other.

For some, a more business-minded presence is required and so they use LinkedIn,  a site for professionals to join each other's networks, recommend former and current co-workers and maintain relationships on a solely business level.

For most, the casual nature of platforms such as MySpace and Facebook (but at this point, really just Facebook) are more suited to the kinds of everyday interactions that are almost required by the technology we use.

For me, I like Twitter. There is really no reason that a platform so limited in it's use (140 character life blurbs) should be so popular on a logical level. But when we look at Keen's idea of the "flattening of culture" the ever-expanding popularity of Twitter makes perfect sense. On most social networks, you must be accepted as someone's friend. Twitter makes the jump to stalker like proportions. An intimate relationship is not necessary. You just click "Follow."

One click and you can follow celebrities, fake celebrities, animals, abstract ideas, stores, businesses and a myriad of other people and things. The best part is that no matter what you are experiencing direct connection with anyone you mention in a Tweet. no other social network boasts that.

In this sense, I almost feel that the flattening of our culture is a good thing. I've been able to interact with favorite bands and writers of mine that I wouldn't have previously thought possible. Plus Twitter allows you to build yourself as a brand more than any other platform, something that has become increasingly more important as the "you" that you portray on the Internet is the one that you can be judged by in real life.

Twitter allows me to get information directly to the people I think would be interested in it the most and that's why I don't see it as such a bad thing. Plus, it's led to making connections with people I could see myself working with in some capacity in the future.

Yes, there is a lot of dumb shit on Twitter but you are in control of your flow of information. It is not that hard to be discerning.

1 comment:

  1. do you really want to build yourself as a "brand"? i'd like to sell more books, but i don't want to be a brand per se. if i were, would i ever be able to write another poem?

    ReplyDelete